*ehem. I am starting my pre-reqs for nursing school in June. Officially.
I feel like I may be one of those people who has had 80 careers by the time she dies, and I'm pretty happy about that.
I've always had a problem with decisions. Just go eat with me and watch how long it takes me to make my food selection. At a bar, ask me what I want to drink. I'll make you come back to me, and halfway through my first beer I'll realize it's not what I want.
Careers so far: waitress (tons of fun, great exercise) sales rep in trucking (stories for years to come) Clerical (current job, really like it, but it's not quite "it").
Careers I thought I would pursue so far: PR, Marketing, Social Work, Admin Assistant, Healthcare Administrator, etc, etc etc.
There's always this fight of I want to love what I do, I want to help people, even if it's just helping my boss achieve his goals by writing minutes, and I would also like to make money.
I've decided I don't like sitting at a desk all day. It hurts my butt, and probably my soul a little bit.
I liked the thought of social work because of the flexibility. One degree, countless options. Saving the world a little bit at a time everyday. Self sacrifice. But, since Charlie's a high roller, I would also like to help contribute to our livelihood a little more.
And then I came to work at Barnes Hospital, where I love all of it. The management style, the people around me, the culture of the organization. It was like shock!
And for the newsletter I'm helping put together, I ran into the article about the Teen Pregnancy Clinic that is lead by nurses. It's so similar to Social Work, but without the negative connotation that people can have about Social Work. No one is scared that a nurse is going to take their child from them. Plus, compensation is great.
And there are so many options! So, if my finicky nature gets the best of me in two years, I can transfer to another role in nursing. Same job, new experience. Oh, and the on-going education. Lifelong, encouraged learning.
I can't wait.
And I'm scared. :)
And it will be expensive until I get my pre-reqs out of the way.
What wedding?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment